Saturday, February 12, 2011

Love and Other Drugs/The Illusionist

Alright so school and life have been particularly tough lately so I’m going to condense these two bad boys into one post. I’m sorry that I can’t write more about them, but I’m trying to play catch up on the blog and see everything before the Oscars.

Love And Other Drugs
                Let’s see what we can do when we take two attractive people and bang them together for two hours. It sounds like a 6 year old playing with her Barbie and Ken dolls, but it is unfortunately the plot for this “romantic comedy.” Both Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway have been in good movies before. They have acted well and they deserve all of the credit they have received. Unfortunately, this movie shows how a bad director can make even good actors look hopeless on screen. Edward Zwick is famous for his action movies (The Last Samurai, Blood Diamond, and Glory) because he can make you care about characters fighting for what they believe in. Unfortunately, I found myself caring nothing for Maggie and Jamie to the point that I had to stop the movie halfway through and finish it a few days later. I don’t want to keep ranting about this movie for too long, I think it’s just the fact that it could have been so good, the actors are awesome, the script is good, not to mention the two are naked more than they are in clothes, but the direction just ruined it for me.
                Case in point, I promise I’ll be brief. The scene that would have saved the movie for me and put it in my worth seeing if just for this…category was just awfully mishandled. Maggie’s character has Parkinson’s, and late in the movie she attends a conference for people with the disease. Everything that is being said is compelling, and I wish I could have seen who was saying it. For most of the scene the audience gets to see Maggie sitting in her chair reacting to the things being said. It cuts back and forth between the people and a reaction shot of Hathaway being happy, or sad, or laughing, or crying, etc. The whole thing feels bi-polar, and it makes even a distinguished actor like Hathaway look like she is just overacting. This film upset me. It was nice to get a rant out.

Final Verdict: 3

But wait there’s more!

The Illusionist (L'illusionniste)
                Sylvain Chomet’s newest film centers around a magician and his life in a dying business. The whole movie is absolutely stunningly crafted by Chomet and Jacques Tati. Even throwaway characters with one line or less are beautifully drawn with unique features that distinguish them so much so that they could have been a protagonist in their own film. I was “drawn” to every character and the movie both makes you laugh and moves you. All of this comes in a film that has almost no distinguishable dialogue. The characters are very emotional, and thanks to the animation style, you hang on their every action. Anyone who enjoyed The Triplets of Bellville will love this, and for anyone that loves animated film, this is one you must see. Considering that Pixar is setting us up for a letdown with Cars 2, I would say if you are looking for a compelling, fun, and smart animated film this season, check this one out. But be warned, it may not end happy like most Pixar fair. 

Final Verdict: 8


Next Up: Blue Valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment